Friday, July 8, 2011

Dam blitz

Just got back from my latest adventure with the bike, a 860 mile road trip to see and take a picture of my bike at some of the dams and reservoirs in the great state of Oregon.

The first day was the longest with 580 miles, the first dam was Gerber which is located east of
Klamath Falls about 30 miles through some cool farming communities, I have never been to the east side of KF so this was all new country for me.


It was already hot at 9:30 in the morning and I had a lot of miles to go.

Next one on the list was Selmec over by Grants Pass, If anybody has the chance to travel the road from Klamath Falls to Medford, that is a great road, and wonderful scenery to boot. Once I got to Medford, I went Through Jacksonville, Applegate, and a few more small towns, this is were I made one of my only wrong turns, the cut of to Wilderville was not found and I ended up in Grants Pass so I had to head back south to get to Selma, all was good and only a couple of miles out of the way.





This one was not a very big dam so it was kind of anti-climactic. So onward and upward (to the north) I went, Back to Grants Pass and I-5, If you ever have a chance to drive north on I-5 on a KLR with the wind howling from the north, DON'T... Are people crazy or what?

Once I was in Roseburg, I was able to get off the slab and go to Whistlers Bend park and found the small irrigation reservoir, which reminded me of Reimer Reservoir, for those of you who don't now that one, It's the reservoir that Teresa's Dad and Uncle built years and years ago on the farm in the Dallas area.



It was so nice and peaceful that I just wanted to stay and jump in and cool off.
 But alas, I need to get one more for the day and so I turned around and went back to I-5 reluctantly. Heading north again to hwy 58 and to the town of Lowell and Fall creek res.




At this point, all I wanted to do was find a camp spot and lay down, It was about 7:30 so I found a campsite about 7 miles down the road and proceeded to set up camp, It was a small site and no one was around, perfect, set up the tent and did some house keeping and started to make dinner, THAT was a fiasco let me tell you, needless to say I made a mess of my Chili, oh well live and learn I guess, Next time it will be freezed dried food all the way.

The next morning, after a restless night I got up at 5:30, packed up and headed to the nearest place to get some coffee, I decided to take the road less traveled and more scenic, there are some very nice places to go if you just want to take it a little slower and smell the roses... Made it to the final dam of the trip, which was in Silverton.




After bagging the dams, I needed to go and see my Mom and Frank in Dallas, Mom is recovering from a nasty tumble down the stairs, she is doing all right but was pretty banged up. I had a wonderful time at my Uncles place visiting with all the relatives from my moms side of the family. Then on the next morning I headed for home, yea!

Sorry for just MC photos but that was all I had time for, I have ONE more dam to get, and that one is in Heppner, I may just go and head up to the Tri-Cities and visit Trenton and Erica on that trip, so until next time.....






No comments:

Post a Comment